Crock-Pot SCCPVL600S Review 2016 | Pros & Cons
The Crock-Pot SCCPVL600S Cook’ N Carry 6-Quart Oval has a lid-lock and rubber gasket making it ideal for transporting meals. Its six quart capacity allows for cooking larger cuts of meat and is spacious enough to prepare a meal for up to ten people.
It has a sleek, modern design with a stainless steel exterior (available in silver or red) and a removable stoneware interior that is dishwasher safe.
The three settings allow for cooking at low or high temperatures or warming prepared meals. At around $40-$50 dollars depending on the vendor, its rather reasonably priced considering its capabilities.
What are the Benefits?
Quick Links to Info on this Page
First off, having the ability to unplug the cooker, lock on the lid and go makes this particular crock-pot massively appealing. It eliminates the use of Tupperware (one less dish to wash) and gives you the option of partially cooking a meal at home and finishing at your destination on those days when you’re running a bit behind. When traveling long distances, its quick and easy to heat up a meal upon arrival at a potluck, family reunion or holiday gathering.
You can even take a warm, home-cooked meal to a picnic or tailgate party and it will taste fresh-out-of-the-oven for hours. The six quart capacity can hold a meal for 4-10 and can cook larger cuts of meat than many other products available. This is, of course, wonderful for big families who have busy lives and need to prepare balanced meals for growing children; Alternatively, young adults who have recently left the nest would benefit from this simple method of meal preparation. Another huge benefit is the ease of clean-up. The inside of the cooker is made of stoneware and removable; This removable piece and the lid are dishwasher safe and the exterior can simply be wiped with warm, soapy water.
Aside from the removable stoneware insert and lid-lock system, the product also features three settings: Low, warm and high, operating on 240 watts of power. It is made of stainless steel and designed with oversized handles to make it all the easier to transport. It comes with a one-year manufacture’s warranty, a bonus mini-crock-pot and a recipe book in case you need some inspiration!
The product measures 15″ long, 10″ wide, 15″ high (38cm L, 25cm W, 38cm H) and weighs 12.7 pounds.
Good to Know
The Cook’ N Carry cooks at around 209 degrees Fahrenheit (98 degrees Celsius) when on its ‘high’ setting. The ‘warm’ setting also heats up to 209 degrees but varying heating cycles causes the ‘high’ setting to prepare food faster. On ‘low’, the product reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius). The removable stoneware insert is microwave-safe and can be used on its own for serving meals.
What’s Good About It?
- Ease of clean-up, capacity, price and portability make this a great product. Just throw the stoneware insert and lid into the dishwasher or take a few seconds to wash them by hand, wipe down the outside and you’re done.
- Since you can also use this product to store and transport meals, there is no need for Tupperware.
- The lid grips on tightly making it very simple and safe for travel (no one wants a car covered in chili).
- Even when in use, the cooker holds in steam making the meat fall-off-the-bone tender.
- The ‘high’ setting on the Cook’ N Carry reaches a higher temperature than most other products of its kind, reducing the time between preparation and enjoying the end result.
- There will be plenty of leftovers to feast on for days; when the holidays come around, just throw a big roast in, turn it on and feel some of the stress begin to subside. At $40-$50 (sometimes you can find it for under $40!) it is an incredible steal.
What’s Not So Good?
- Some reviewers complain that this slow cooker gets too hot too quickly and can dry and even burn the food. If this happens to you remember to send it back for a replacement or a refund before the guarantee expires. Alternatively you could look at programmable model so you are able to control the cooking temperature. If you decide to go for a programmable cooker check my review about the Hamilton Beach 33969A Set ‘n Forget Programmable slow cooker.
- Unfortunately, there is no light to indicate when it is ‘on’, so for those who are forgetful or paranoid, the only way to ensure without a doubt you have not left it running is to unplug it entirely.
- Also, accidentally leaving the lid locked down could cause it to shatter when operating at a higher temperature. The rubber gasket and lid locking mechanism, which is made of plastic, causes concerns regarding long-term use; however, considering pricing on this item, buying a replacement after a year or two certainly wouldn’t break the bank.
- Although the lid is said to be “dishwasher-safe”, the manufacturer does recommend it be washed by hand. This would most likely extend the lid-lock mechanism’s life-cycle.
Looking for a user’s manual? Check this one.
Crock-Pot SCCPVL600S Review Summary
Considering most other slow-cookers offering the same features are priced at $100 or more, this product is well-worth the price. It would make a perfect gift for a newlywed couple or high school senior preparing for college. Families will not only get a great deal on this item but can cut down on the cost of new Tupperware.
Although you probably shouldn’t leave this particular appliance unattended or place it near any flammable objects, if you’re in the market for a crock-pot, you really should consider the Cook’ N Carry. It is perfect for social gatherings or family-oriented folks who enjoy cooking for their loved ones. Big families will find this product can minimize time spent in the kitchen and maximize time spend around the table together.
Even if you’re more of a loner, this is an excellent appliance at a phenomenal price that can easily prepare a week’s worth of delicious food in just a few hours. This product is highly recommended by the majority of people who have used it and was voted one of the best kitchen appliances of 2016 by Amazon.com. Why not find out what everyone is raving about? Not sure if this is the right slow cooker for you? Check the crock-pot SCCPVL610-S review.