Lemon Parmesan Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs/Legs
If you like chicken you are going to love this rosemary parmesan slow cooker chicken thighs/legs recipe. This recipe can be easily thrown together in only about 30 minutes, making it the perfect accompaniment to a busy night. This recipe is perfect for a family meal or gatherings with friends.
- 8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs or legs or both
- 2 sliced lemons
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan (plus more for garnish)
- Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
Make the lemon parmesan slow cooker chicken thighs/legs recipe in 9 easy steps:
1. Start by rinsing the chicken and patting them down with a paper towel.
2. Sear the chicken thighs/legs in a frying pan over medium heat for about two to three minutes each side. Once the skin is slightly golden, transfer each piece of chicken into the slow cooker. Searing the chicken gives the skin an added texture that is missed if the chicken is directly put in the slow cooker.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Spread half the herb mixture on the chicken, coating the entirety of both sides. The herbs will naturally stick the exterior of the chicken skin.
5. Pour the half cup of white wine around the chicken thighs, enough so that it creates a coat of wine on the bottom of the cooker but does not submerge the chicken. If preferred, red wine can be substituted for the white wine. Apple juice is also a great non-alcoholic option that will still provide great tenderness.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the herb mixture over the chicken, followed by the tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of butter dolloped evenly over the chicken.
7. Mince the garlic and sprinkle the minced cloves over the chicken as well. Add lemon slices.
8. Cover and let cook for 7-8 hours on low heat. The chicken should be completely cooked through, and have an internal temperature near 165 degrees.
9. With one hour left of cook time, lift the lid off the slow cooker and sprinkle the parmesan over the chicken. Return to heat.
10. After the chicken is ready, remove from heat and garnish with remaining parmesan.
The ingredients can be thrown together in the morning and then at night, a wholesome and hearty meal is ready and waiting. The recipe can be modified to include basil which will yield a milder and more Italian flavor. You could also substitute the chicken thighs for chicken breast or a whole chicken cut into pieces.
Additionally, for a stronger dish, opt for feta cheese instead of parmesan, and add diced artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and (if preferred) kalamata olives into the slow cooker. You could also transfer the chicken to an oven dish to gratin the cheese.