Slow Cooker Charcoal Grilled Beef Stew Recipe, Bon Appetit!
Slow cooker charcoal grilled beef stew is a hearty meal that will leave your taste buds tantalized and your guests and or family asking for more.
Its a traditional delicacy mainly found in the lake region of Kenya, and was prepared for honored guests visiting a home especially during weddings feasts or visits by in laws.
For the main ingredient you can use left over meat from a previous day’s grill or grill the meat during preparation time.
The grilling before cooking gives the meat a warm aromatic taste with a small hint of smoky charcoal for that authentic taste that cannot be achieved by any spice or herbs. The timing used in the slow cooker ensures that the meat cooks slowly until tender.
Another option if you don’t have a grill is to pan fry the steak with very little oil until the meat is well browned, but bear in mind that the taste won’t be the same.
- 1 kg beef steak
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 leek finely diced
- 4 large potatoes diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1/2 cup of peas
Serves 5 – 6 people
You will also require a well lighted charcoal grill.
5 Steps to Slow Cooker Charcoal Grilled Beef Stew:
Prep time 45 minutes, cook time 5 hours
1. Cut the beef into strips lengthwise and slowly grill over a charcoal grill. Ensure to keep turning periodically so that the meat is well grilled but not burnt.
2. Once done with grilling, let the meat cool down for 5 – 10 minutes then proceed to cut the meet into cubes as per your desired size. You might prefer to leave the meat as large chunks. Put the meat in the slow cooker.
3. In a separate saucepan, lightly fry the chopped onions until golden brown, taking care not to burn them. If in doubt about achieving the golden brown switch off the heat once the onions turn colorless.
4. In the slow cooker, stir in the fried onions, finely chopped tomatoes, teaspoon of salt, 2/2 cups beef broth or water as desired, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 pinch of thyme, finely diced leek, diced potatoes, peas and diced carrots.
5. Cover and cook for 5 hours on medium setting. Always ensure not to keep opening the cover when using a slow cooker so as to allow the steam to cook the meat well and keep in the aroma.
You can also add in more vegetables as required like red or yellow capsicum, red lentils and even a dash or two of chili to make it mildly hot for those who favor hot/ spicy stews. Do keep in mind whether you will be serving children before adding the chili.
Serve the slow cooker charcoal grilled beef stew hot with cabbage, white coconut rice, roti, spaghetti, salad or any other desired accompaniment.
Do you need a new slow cooker? Have a look at these great models.